A Salesperson’s worst foe.
Assumption: Something accepted as true, without proof.
“Without proof” powerful words.
All salespeople make assumptions, but what separates the most successful ones is that they ask questions and challenge their assumptions.
Tips to keep from relying on assumptions:
- Ask yourself, how do I know this?
- If a prospect says something that you do not understand, ask questions.
- Question what you believe to be true
- Prospects and customers appreciate questions. Don’t let the fear of a negative response keep you from asking questions. You won’t look dumb.
- Take a deep breath; it will help you remain calm and think.
- Become comfortable with the fact that you do not know everything.
There is one assumption that is always safe to make, and that is that you do not have the complete picture.