Assumption: Something accepted as accurate without proof.
Without proof - powerful words.
All salespeople make assumptions, but what separates the most successful ones is that they ask questions and challenge their assumptions.
Tips to keep from relying on assumptions:
- Ask yourself, how do I know this?
- If a prospect says something that you do not understand, ask questions.
- Question what you believe to be true
- Prospects and customers appreciate questions. Don’t let the fear of a negative response keep you from asking questions. You won’t look dumb.
- Take a deep breath; it will help you remain calm and think.
- Become comfortable with the fact that you do not know everything.
One assumption is always safe to make, and that is that you do not have the complete picture.